History of the Ejby Bunker
The Ejby Bunker was build as command centre for the air defence of Copenhagen. It was put into operation in 1954 with the Cold War raging between East and West. The following 17 years the bunker was manned around the clock and ready for battle if the Cold War had turned hot.
In 1971, the command centre for the capital's air defence was moved from Rødovre to Vedbæk, North of Copenhagen. Afterwards, the Danish Defence used The Ejby Bunker for various purposes. In the 1980's and 1990's it was brimming with large computers and secret communications equipment, serving as military communications centre. The bunker was at on point designated as wartime headquarters for the military authorities that would be leading the defence of Copenhagen and North Zealand. It was only in 2004 that the Danish Defence finally left the bunker. During all those years, the bunker was not only guarded behind fences but also shrouded in secrecy. There were armed guards and access by unauthorized persons was strictly prohibited. Even the nearest neighbours did not know what went on the bunker.
There were rumours of secret underground tunnels, hidden nuclear missiles and a direct telephone line to the American president! But come see for yourself…