The Artillery Magazine in Rødovre was built to store the guns of Hvissinge Battery located on the West Rampart just south of the magazine.
The original magazine was a 300 m2 half-timbered building clad in galvanised corrugated iron sheets. It had room for eight guns and 3,200 projectiles.
A total of nine such magazines were built along the West Rampart in 1889-1890 during the construction of the rampart itself.
The original artillery magazine was demolished in 1963 when this part of the rampart was made into a recreational area.